The water needed to operate the steam locomotives on the grounds of the former Tempelhof marshalling yard was supplied by the 50-metre-high steel water tower built in 1927, which is the landmark of today's Natur Park Südgelände that can be seen from afar. With a capacity of 400 cubic metres, it was roughly equivalent to the filling capacity of ten tug tenders. The high water pressure meant that the locomotives' tenders could be filled within a very short time.
During the renovation of the listed tower in 2019, the decision was made to show all phases of the building's history. For example, minor holes caused by shelling during the Second World War were not removed.
One of the most important measures of the renovation was the installation of two 750 kg spring dampers. These counteract the movement of the tower in strong winds and thus provide the necessary stability. This measure will allow the structure to be preserved into the next century.
The water tower is not accessible to visitors for safety reasons. Nevertheless, it has had a natural inhabitant for decades: a kestrel chose a large shell hole as its nesting place years ago. After the renovation in 2019, it was given a nesting box. With a little luck, visitors will be able to watch the young kestrels make their first attempts at flight in early summer.